Tuesday 23 April 2013

Happy Scrambled Green Eggs and Smashed Avocado on Rye



I'm writing about this tonight as I've just come home from a lovely spring day filled with new headshots and quality time with my beau and I now realised I haven't got many ingredients for dinner..Oops.
But I do have eggs and one avocado. So I'll have a simpler version of the recipe you'll see below.
I eat this a lot. I love eggs, I love spinach and I ADORE avocado so I really can't go wrong here.
 I normally have it for lunch after a late morning workout or on a Sunday for brunch accompanied by a glass of orange juice (not from concentrate!) but to be honest I could easily have it at any time of the day, like tonight for example.
Eggs are a really good source of protein and avocado, you probably already know, contains vitamin E which is great for your skin and its fat is mostly monounsaturated which is good for you, definitely better for you than saturated fat from processed food.
Now get cooking!

Serves 2:

4 Eggs (possibly free range and organic)
2 Big handfuls of chopped spinach (I add a bit more as I really love it)
1 Thinly Sliced Red Onion or 1 Small Leek
2 tsp Extravirgin Olive oil
Salt and pepper to season

On a low heat, drizzle the oil in the pan and add the chopped onion or leek stirring every now and then till soft.
In the meantime, crack the eggs in a bowl, season with salt and pepper and whisk.
Once the leek is soft, add the chopped spinach and stir for about 30 seconds, till spinach becomes slightly wilted and a beautiful bright green.
Now it's time to add your eggs! And make sure you keep stirring slowly so they don't stick to the pan.
The trick is to take them off the heat when they're still a little runny as they'll cook for a few seconds more even in the plate.

SMASHED AVOCADO

1 Ripe Avocado
1 tsp Extravirgin Olive oil
salt and pepper
A little lemon juice to taste

Spoon the avocado flesh out and into a bowl, add the lemon and oil and smash till smooth, add salt and pepper to taste.

You can toast your rye bread or have it just like it is and then spread you green creamy goodness on it, pop on a plate with the eggs and eat!






No comments:

Post a Comment