Friday 19 December 2014

Healing Carrot and Ginger Soup



 It's Christmas time and I'm loving every single minute of it! the colourful lights and decorations around town, Christmas carols at every corner and the smell of mulled wine at the markets...
It's my personal Disneyland.
However, with this much happiness and fun, also comes the cold weather and all those people that keep sneezing and coughing around me on public transports. Not the best thing..
So this is my go to meal every single time I feel I'm coming down with something or feel a little nauseous and just generally run down. So far it has made me feel better ever single time.
Garlic and Onions can help boost immunity, in fact, did you know that garlic has antibiotic, antibacterial and anti inflammatory properties? BOOM! And onions contain quercetin, a compound that works as a anti-histamine and can therefore help in the relief of allergies.
In addition to these two immune powerhouses I also use fresh ginger. I love ginger and it's my first port of call when I feel a cold coming on (hot water, boil fresh ginger slices for 15 min, add lemon and manuka honey). This powerful root can work as digestive aid, painkiller, anti-nausea, anti inflammatory and so much more! Finally I add organic carrots to this soup, they are rich in antioxidant beta-carotene which converts into vitamin A in the body, helpful for immunity, skin,
eye health and more. One more thing, you'll also find turmeric in this recipe, the active compound within is curcumin and it has anti bacterial, anti inflammatory, anti viral and antioxidant properties.

The best thing about this soup is that is crazy easy and quick to prepare,.I always make a big batch and freeze it so I can have a healing lunch at work throughout the week.

Let's get cooking!




INGREDIENTS

1 large garlic clove (crush it and chop it in tiny pieces)
2 medium onions (thinly sliced)
1 thumbsize piece of fresh ginger root peeled and sliced thinly
4/5 large carrots (possibly organic, I used rainbow ones), peeled and thinly chopped
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp dried mediterranean herbs
1tbsp extravirgin olive oil
vegetable stock
salt (I use pink Himalayan salt but you can easily use sea salt)
pepper



Pour the oil in the pan and add your ginger, onions and garlic. Leave on a low/medium heat until the onions soften. Add carrots, herbs, spices, salt and pepper and mix it up. Cover with hot vegetable stock and bring to a boil then take it down to a simmer and leave for 25 min.
After that, I like to use my hand blender to make the whole soup really really smooth but you can just leave it like it is if you prefer a chunkier consistency.

Merry Healthy Happy Christmas!

xxx

Foodolina

No comments:

Post a Comment