Saturday 23 January 2016

Detox Challenge Day 6: first day of liquids only..(Plus a smoothie AND a soup recipe!)


I'm on the way back from my eight hours of lectures.Eight hours trying to focus on chronic fatigue syndrome and cancer, while drinking my smoothie, sipping my pea and mint soup, drinking my metabolic foods shake.  And in between plenty of water and herbal teas. Yes, there were quite a few trips to the loo.

But let me tell you, I felt cocky. Until about 11 am. I thought I was the Bear Gylls of nutrition students, the one who didn't find 3 days of liquids only challenging AT ALL!!! Muahahahha! I Could do it with my eyes closed!

Then 11.30am struck, and my metabolic shake filled my almost hunger. Until 12.15pm, when I had to finally open my 1.2L mega flask of homemade pea and mint soup ( which by the way, was insanely delicious! I'll get you the recipe)...And had my first cup. 

Lunch was at 1.30pm and I decided to buy a different soup in order not to get bored with mine which I will have for the next two days as well... On the way to the shops though, I was not expecting to see a street food market. Damn it.

I know I am Italian and an actress, so obviously prone to being a little dramatic at times but man..When the smell of barbecue hit my nostrils, I genuinely wanted to cry. I was not happy.
Nevertheless, I held my head up high, bought a gluten and dairy free sweet potato soup and went back to my classmates.
I can do this.


Second half of the day, more scientific background on cancer. More cups of pea soup. And another metabolic shake. And water.
On the plus side I was still feeling ok, good energy levels so far. 
Until I finished at 6pm, and on the way to the tube I started to feel really weak and a little dizzy. Never a good sign for me. It was cold and I was almost at the tube but I did not want to risk fainting in front of strangers, so I marched back to Planet Organic and got myself a celery, spinach, apple and ginger juice. That seemed to do the trick. Hopefully once I get to Balham station my train home will arrive promptly so I won't have to squat and pee on the platform, while smiling politely at people walking by. "I'm doing a detox challenge sir! Have a lovely evening!".
Anyway..
Tonight, carrot soup. I am actually feeling rather excited about the fact that I will be adding some shredded leftover chicken and coriander before blending the whole thing again. Wow. 

Physically, let's say good energy for most of the day ( sitting) but I have to admit, I do feel bloated. Doesn't feel nor looks particularly good..Maybe it's just the first day and the body adjusting to this massive amount of liquids.. My friend Mari, who I love and honestly idolise, said she felt absolutely great on these juicing days. Who knows, tomorrow that could be me.

For now though, let's finish this post on a positive note, with both my pea and mint soup recipe plus a yummy velvety green smoothie! Enjoy!

PEAR, CINNAMON AND ALMOND SMOOTHIE 

1 pear chopped
Half avocado ( good source of healthy fats. You will not taste it I promise, and it's going to make the smoothie super creamy)
2 tbsp smooth almond butter ( creamy protein source) 
4 frozen strawberries ( they were leftovers)
1 cup 1/2 unsweetened almond milk
2 heaped tsp cinnamon ( helps balance potential sugar spikes in the blood after this meal) 
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 handful organic spinach (magnesium anyone?)
A few mint leaves
If you have any protein powder feel free to add that too. I ran out...

Pop everything in your blender and whizz it up! 

NEXT!!!

PEA AND MINT SOUP (cheap and super quick to make) 

2 medium red onions sliced thin
2 garlic cloves chopped
500g frozen peas ( I had them leftover from the 1kg bag I got during my last grocery shopping)
1 vegetable stock cube ( preferably organic)
A generous handful of chopped fresh mint
Salt and pepper to taste

Add some olive oil ( I would have used coconut oil which is much healthier to cook with but ran out, sorry) to the pan with onions and garlic, leave on low/medium heat for five minutes till soft.
Crumble the stock cube and add boiling water and peas. Salt and pepper. 
Bring to a boil then down to a simmer and leave it for about 25 min. 2 min before the end add your mint.

Leave to cool for 5 minutes then use a hand blender to make it super smooth!
When you serve it in the bowl, remember to add a little swirl of olive oil. It always makes the sunup that little bit more delicious.

Buon Appetito.

Xxx

Foodolina







2 comments:

  1. Hey I am so inspired to know about your detox program. I am also thinking to detoxify my body and would like to have the Green drink twice a day for 6 days. I have heard that this 6 day detoxification challenge is way too beneficial and fast.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Eli! I do not know the Green Drink, but I have learnt that the main thing is doing a gradual detox and always listen to your body. This will let you know if something you are doing ( ex. Doing only liquids for three days in my case...) is by appropriate for you. I decided that for my body, should I want to detox again I will just do it through alkaline foods, exercise and increased water. However, many other people have different bodies and needs and might benefit from the addition of supplements or indeed, a couple of days on liquids only as long as the nutritional content is always appropriate. As I will graduate in July, I would suggest seeing a professional practitioner, before embarking on a detox :) Hope you have a fantastic week! ciao!x

    ReplyDelete